A chancer with a fondness for small wooden things and decent threads sets out to make his fortune in the world of antique dealing.


Sunday 8 January 2012

Mother of Pearl Bracelet and Ring



So this morning was spent in a state of fevered angst at the Antiques and Flea Market at Malvern. I learned a lot in my first outing as a dealer, despite having been there countless times as a punter. Don't buy tea services. That's one. Also, if you find something really nice and the price is reasonable, then it's definitely had something glued back on. I found so many mended feet today it was like hanging around outside a chiropody clinic.

Anyway, I was also reminded that 99% of people selling stuff at places like this know their shit. Therefore, you're very unlikely to find anything of quality at a price that will allow you to make a profit on it.
Out of the 11 things that I snapped up today, this is probably the only exception.

These two came as a pair and I took them mainly because of that. Also because look at them, they're quality. The ring is large and chunky and while it obviously goes perfectly with the bracelet I'll probably sell them separately but within easy view of one another so as to avoid knocking the price down or narrowing the potential buyers.

When I got home, I found out that they are mother of pearl. That's the stuff that lines the shells of things like oysters and mussels and it's what eventually forms into pearls in the former. That's pretty good news because it's the kind of thing that's always popular and gives the whole thing a ring of authenticity.

I think that these have the highest chance so far of turning a healthy profit, partly because of how little I paid for them and partly because they're lovely thing in their own right. Hell, I'd wear them. I don't think many people would be alarmed to see a tag upwards of £25 for the pair.

Bought for: £5, down from £6

Hopes: Bullish

Profit: £££

Actual Cheddar: ££

1 comment:

  1. Could you possibly branch out and start selling things online? I'd save up for these bad boys.

    ReplyDelete